Our first-ever Ommegang HopChef Competition at the Atlas in Washington D.C. was an amazing time and the dishes and pairings were delicious. Thank you to all the Chefs for the amazing food and volunteers for making our first HopChef event a memorable one. Elizabeth Parker‘s keen eye captured some amazing shots of the event.
Our emcee of the evening, Lauren DeSantis of Capital Cooking kept everyone informed and updated as she interviewed each Chef and gained an insight onto their pairings.
Congratulations to the 1st winner of the HopChef Competition series, Jeff Eng of Tower Oaks Lodge. We will see Jeff again at Belgium Comes to Cooperstown this summer as he competes for the HopChef crown.
Chef Jeff Eng winning pairings included:
1. Suft and Turf: Uni and beer braised oxtail roe – paired with Hennepin
2. Chocolate hazelnut crunch bar, coke and pop rocks – paired with Three Philosophers
Chef Mark Marrocco of Magnolias at the Mill Restaurant pairings included:
1. Surf N Turf Slider: 24 hour roast waygu strip loin, new england lobster salad, house made Hennepin aioli, pickled baby carrots & pearl onions – paired with Hennepin.
2. Pheasant & foie gras raviolo, cherry puree, Three Philosophers consomme – paired with Three Philosophers
Chef Will Artley of Pizzeria Orso pairings included:
1. Lavender and White Creme Brulee – paired with Witte
2. Braised pork belly with Three Philosophers and cherry demi – paired with Three Philosophers
Chef Mike Bonk of Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar pairings included:
1. Smoked lamb leg, chicory and foie gras mole, agrodolce onions – paired with Three Philosophers
2. Hamachi crudo, strawberry harissa, candied orange peel, micro cilantro – paired with Witte
Chef Jamie Leeds of Hank’s Oyster Bar pairings included:
1. Bacon BBQ’d Oysters – paired with Three Philosophers
2. Scallop Ceviche – paired with Witte
Chef Nicholas Stefanelli of Bibiana pairings included:
1. Witte arincini – paired with Witte
2. Smoked potato gnocchi with “Sicilian-Style” pork ragu – paired with Rare Vos
Chef Bradley Walker of Boundary Road pairings included:
1. Ensalada de Camarisco – paired with Witte
2. Smoked pork leg with ramp spatzle, turnips and dandelion greens – paired with Three Philosophers